Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dayton and Home

So we spent the night in Dayton and ate dinner at a TGI Friday's.....back to boring ol' regular life....

We visited the Air Force Museum in Dayton on Monday morning. Looked at all the WWII war birds and then went to peek at the bird dog they have hanging by the Viet Nam era airplanes. They have a new section now for rockets....it was pretty interesting. I think I must have been tired or something - just couldn't get too revved up about the airplanes.....

I wanted to go home. It was time. We got back in the car and headed west. We still had 600 miles to go and I was anxious to put those miles behind us. I listened to my iPod for a bit - first time since Phil arrived in Maine last Friday. First song was
All That We Let In by the Indigo Girls. Second one was A Song For You by Leon Russell.....

Dust in our eyes our own boots kicked up
Heartsick we nursed along the way we picked up
You may not see it when it's sticking to your skin
But we're better off for all that we let in

I love those lyrics...

Let's see...I was gone from home for 26 days. I traveled over 4600 miles through 22 states. I spent time with one of my oldest and most precious friends, Mena. I witnessed the marriage of her oldest son - I've known him since he was a tiny baby. I spent time with some of my newest friends - people I met on an internet forum and have gotten to know pretty well, I'd say. I say that because when I finally met them face to face, there were no surprises - just really good people and people I want to see again.

Driving home, I looked over there at my partner...the guy who lets me be the free spirit I so need to be. I'll never forget what my friend Lois Brown said to her son, "Kid! I wake up in the morning and go to work at my shoe store downtown. And when I look out of that window at Main Street I see
heaven!"

I want to be that happy all the days of my life...

So Phil...thank you for letting me take this trip. I'm sure you didn't understand why I needed to take it - maybe you even wondered if it would take me away from you forever...but you've always been so good at allowing me just enough freedom to be me. Thank you. Thank you.

Visiting all those places I lived as a child...maybe I was checking to see if there was something I left behind. But, you know what? There wasn't. All of those things I lived through - in all of those places - they were just bringing me here to this place. I love my life. I have a great life.

So Phil, for you:

I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for my life - you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over
Remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you
We were alone and I was singing this song for you -Leon Russell

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow Kim. Sounds like a fabulous trip.