Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday - Last Day Alone





Wednesday was a cold and rainy day. I spent all morning and part of the afternoon baking cookies for my company this weekend. After that I took a nap then ventured out to the grocery store to buy some brown rice to eat with my asparagus...

Today the weather man promised sunshine. I woke up to rain, but by noon the sun was shining so I decided I better walk to the far end of the beach for the first time since I've been here. The clouds were looking somewhat ominous at that end, but I wasn't too afraid. I couldn't believe how messy the beach was - covered with sea weed and odds and ends...it has never been like this any time I've been here before and I can only imagine the tropical storm brought lots of crap to shore with the rain and wind. Perhaps it is because of the time of year...I've not ever been here quite this late in the season. So that, combined with me taking my walk while the tide was high and wearing only flip flops for the 6 mile round trip, made for a long walk on partially eroded beach. The water is COLD, but I took off my shoes and walked near the water line anyway. Much easier walking down there...

It started to rain as I reached the far end and I turned around and walked as fast as I could the other direction to try to outrun it. That wasn't working, so I sat up on the covered porch of a vacant beach house and watched the surf...I was the only person on the beach today. I saw only one other person working on a house. When the rain eased a bit, I started walking again, this time closer to the sea wall side of the beach - until I came upon the decaying body of a dead seal....ICKY!!! Sorry, no picture of that. I went back to the water after that...it felt cleaner down there.

Made it back safe and sound and now the sun is shining brightly again. Chilly wind today, too. It is definitely autumn in New England! No sea glass out there either...but I may have been walking too fast to see it. I'll go back to the rocky part of the beach this afternoon at low tide and look for more sea glass...

No comments: