Wednesday, September 24, 2008

From Middletown NY





Today was a beautiful day! I roamed around Bloomsburg and Berwick, PA most of the morning and somehow ended up at the Bloomsburg Airport sitting on the bench watching the airplanes take off and land. I decided it is the best part of Bloomsburg. I grew up across the street from that airport - little did I know what a significant part of my life aviation would become. A guy I was talking to took me into the big hangar there and showed me some airplanes - an RV6 they are working on and a beautiful J3...not a whole lot of tail draggers there, but there was a very nice Ercoupe I watched take off...

The airport is next to the Susquehanna River and I used to walk behind it when I walked from our house on Old Berwick Road to the Bloomsburg swimming pool. It was just an overgrown road back then - sort of scary even. The McGee Carpet Company had some buildings back there, too. An old outdoor stage and a kitchen building. It was called the Carpet Club...and my friend, Pam Davies, and I used to play there. We would pretend we were performers and dance on the stage. I often went there alone as a child. It was a magic place for me - a place where I could be whatever I wanted to be. Really, it breaks my heart it isn't there anymore...just a ratty piece of property there by the river now. A boat launch and a compost yard...

From Bloomsburg, I traveled north to Rickett's Glen state park then wound around the Pennsylvania country side for several hours - turning north and east when the opportunity presented itself...all roads lead to other roads I've learned...some slow you down...but you eventually end up where you need to be.



I have lots of pictures and stories from today, but I am so weary from my travels posting them will have to wait until morning.

Later in the day I was driving north of Wilkes-Barre Scranton and saw a J3 flying low and slow like it had just left the runway. I turned south and found the airport - Skyhaven. I talked to some folks there who were restoring old Stinsons with radial engines...we got so busy talking about creepers, I forgot to ask what the airplanes were - and I don't have pictures of them either. There were some fine vintage airplanes at that field...what a place...

No comments: